"The Mission of the Mobile County Health Department is to promote, improve, and protect the health of Mobile County."
"We are the leaders, promoting a healthy, safe, prepared, and educated community."
"The goals of the Mobile County Health Department are Teamwork, Customer Satisfaction, Optimal Performance, Accessibility, Organizational Integrity and Fiduciary Responsibility."
Accredited by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
Should you have a concern about the quality of care at this Joint Commission-accredited health care organization, you may call The Joint Commission at (800) 994-6610.
Mobile has served under six flags, and public health has been a component of this illustrious history since the city's founding in 1702. Under the flag of the United States, the Board of Health was established for the Mississippi Territory in 1816. Services have been provided uninterrupted to the citizens of this community since that time. Mobile's Board of Health predates any other health department in Alabama by almost 100 years. Our main building was constructed in 1839 as a U.S. Public Health (Marine) Hospital.
At the turn of the century, there were three boards of health functioning in the county (City of Mobile, County of Mobile and Citronelle). On Jan. 1, 1919, one full-time health department was established for countywide services.
Under a consolidation plan, the first office of the Board of Health was housed at 119 Conti St. It remained there until 1957 when, in July of that year, the facility moved into a new monolithic structure located at 248 Cox St.
On Dec. 1, 1974, the Mobile County Board of Health entered into a lease/purchase arrangement with the Sixth District Tuberculosis Association for the U.S. Marine Hospital located at 850 St. Anthony St. On Oct. 23 of the following year, the title and deed were duly transferred to the Board of Health. Renovation of the hospital along with the construction of a new addition to the central structure was completed in 1983 and all of the services were moved to this new location during that year.
In 1984, the facility was rededicated as the Major General William C. Gorgas Clinic. The main entrance was located at 251 N. Bayou St. The 150th-year celebration of the facility was held on Dec. 15, 1993. As the building bears witness to its remarkable endurance and persistence, so does the services provided by the dedicated public health workers.
The Bayou Street building is on the National Register for Historic Buildings.