Need an Alabama birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate?
You may apply for an Alabama vital record at the main Health Department site in downtown Mobile. It’s easy. Fill out an application at the site and give payment and application to the clerk. You may also download an application and fill it out beforehand.
Main Health Center
251 North Bayou St., Mobile
Our office is open for processing certificates from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
MCHD is asking that all clients use the front door at the Keeler Memorial Building (251 North Bayou St. in Downtown Mobile) for screening prior to entering the agency for vital statistics. Only three clients can be seen at a time.
Fees for certificates are $15 for the first certified copy and $6 for each additional certified copy (of the same record) when ordered at the same time.
Fees may be paid by the following methods:
- Personal checks or money orders for the exact amount payable to “Mobile County Health Dept.” with the Driver License number and expiration date on them. (all locations)
- Credit or debit card (main health center only) [Note: There is a $1.95 administrative fee for credit and debit transactions]
Name change information and application to be mailed to the Alabama Department of Public Health in Montgomery. For any other vital record issues, please visit the Health Department’s 251 North Bayou St. location. For further information, call the Vital Records Office at 251.690.8150 or 251.690.8113; write Center for Health Statistics, P.O. Box 5625, Montgomery, AL 36103-5625; or call 334.206.5418.
Only Alabama birth, death, marriage or divorce certificates are available through this service.
Restrictions for birth certificate records
By Alabama law, birth certificates are confidential records with restricted access for 125 years from the date of birth. They may be obtained by the following persons, upon payment of the proper fee:
- Person named on the certificate
- Mother, father or legal guardian
- Husband or wife of person named on certificate
- Son or daughter of person named on certificate
- Sister or brother of person named on certificate
- Legal representative of an authorized person with documentation
Information required for birth certificate records
Please provide as much of the following information as possible for us to locate the birth certificate:
- Full name of person at birth
- Date of birth
- County or city of birth
- Hospital of birth – if not in a hospital, state “home”
- Full maiden name of the mother
- Full name of the father
- Your name
- Your signature
- Your relationship to the person whose certificate you are requesting
- Address where the certificate is to be mailed
- Your daytime telephone number