Each Body Piercing facility must:

  • obtain a Body Art Permit through the Health Department annually
  • operator of the facility must apply for an Operator’s Permit every two years

Body Art Facility Permit/License Application

Body Art Operator Permit Application

    • Food Service
      • Up to 1000 sq ft. $375.00
        Over 1000 sq ft. $565.00
        Limited Food Service $440.00
        Limited Retail Food Service $250.00
    • Food Service Processors (based on gross receipts)
      • ($0-99,999.99) $375.00
        ($100,000.00-249,999.99) $630.00
        ($250,000.00-999,999.99) $885.00
        ($1,000,000.00 and above) $1,265.00
    • Mobile Unit (Temporary Events)
      • 0-3 days $220.00
        4-14 days $250.00
        >14 days $505.00
    • Lodging (Hotel/Motel, etc.)
        • 0-25 rooms $315.00
          26-75 rooms $440.00
          76+ rooms $695.00
    • Daycare Centers
      • Permit Fee (With Kitchen):
        0-100 Children $250.00
        101+ Children $375.00
      • Sanitation Certification:
        0-49 Occupants $315.00
        50-100 Occupants $375.00
        101+ Occupants $440.00
    • Body Art
      • Body Art Operator – Permit $25.00
      • Body Art Facility – Initial Annual License* $250.00
      • Body Art Facility Annual License Renewal* $200.00
      • Body Art Temporary License* $50.00
      • Body Art Facility Plan Review $250.00
      • Body Art Facility Operator’s Permit $90.00
        *Fee Authorized by Alabama Department of Public Health Rules for Body Art Practice & Facilities -Chapter 420-3-23 (Printed Copy) $25.00
  • Swimming pool or spa:
    • Annual Permit Fee (Flat Fee) $315.00
  • Other:
    • Cottage Food Registration Application: $75.00
    • Ice cream truck: $75.00

The Beason-Hammond Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act requires every person or sole proprietorship applying for a license or permit from the state to demonstrate his or her U.S. citizenship, or, if the person is an alien, to demonstrate his or her lawful presence in the United States. The lawful presence of an alien will be verified by the federal government through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program.

What does MCHD look for when inspecting vendors?

  • Approved food source.
  • Food storage, handling and preparation.
  • Proper handwashing and warewashing facilities.
  • Proper establishment construction.
  • Food handler hygienic practices.
  • Utensil and equipment storage and sanitation.
  • Water source and disposal.
  • Approved Food Handler Cards.

What is the purpose of a temporary permit?

  • A temporary permit is issued on-site after conducting an inspection of the facility.
  • The inspection is intended to check areas of concern as it pertains to food safety.
  • A temporary permit tells the public that the facility meets the minimum requirements for a temporary food establishment.

Are there any temporary food event exemptions?

Yes. Prepackaged and unopened non-perishable snacks and candy, canned and bottled soft drinks and water in the original container, canned and bottled pasteurized juices in the original container and whole produce are all exempt from permit.

Do I need a temporary food permit if I am giving food away?

No. Food that is given away free of charge are considered exempt from the permitting requirements unless it is given to a commercial food establishment. If you are not sure, it is best to contact an inspector of MCHD.

Can I prepare food for a special event at home?

No storage, slicing, dicing, marinating, cooking or any processes related to food preparation for any food item, dressing, garnish or other is allowed at a private residence for items served to the general public at a special event.

If I register and pay for a temporary permit, does this mean I am approved to operate?

No. The registration is subject to review and food service operations must comply with regulations before the operation.

Is there an annual permit to cover a full special event season?

No. Temporary permits are issued for each event and can only be used at the event.

If I already have a permit for my restaurant or mobile food unit, do I need a temporary food permit?

Yes. A permit is not transferable from person to person or place to place.

Can I prepare food for a special event ahead of time at an approved facility?

Advanced preparation must be approved by the Health Department ahead of time. Menu items, storage, transport, time and temperature will all be considered before such approval is granted. Cooking and cooling food items prior to an event are usually not allowed.

The Inspection Services Department is also responsible for inspecting the sanitary conditions of establishments that offer rent-overnight sleeping accommodations. Each of these facilities must obtain a Hotel/Motel Permit from the Health Department each year. Hotels and motels are scored on a 100-point grading scale. The current Hotel/Motel permit and inspection sheet must be in public view.

If you are interested in the score received by a hotel or motel, please call our office at 251.690.8116.

Food and Lodging Permit Application

It is necessary for persons operating public pools and spas to apply for a Swimming Pool/Spa Permit for each pool or spa on the premises. There is a $250 fee per pool or spa, effective May 2013. Current permits expire in September. Notices and applications for renewal are mailed in July.

Individuals or groups planning to hold events that are open to the public must have a permit. The rules of the State Board of Health require that a permit to operate a temporary food booth be obtained prior to any food being sold. Each concession must have its own permit.

If you advertise the event with flyers, banners, newspaper articles or by any other means, it is considered a public event.

A valid permit shall be conspicuously posted in every temporary food service establishment. This helps ensure that the food sold will be as safe as possible. Many outbreaks of foodborne illness have been traced back to food improperly handled at temporary events.

To receive more information regarding temporary and special event requirements, please contact our office at 251.690.8116 or select documents given on this page.

Temporary Food Service Guidelines

Special Event Vending Inspection Services

To request additional information on the permitting, please call the City of Mobile Animal Shelter 251.208.2800.

A permit* is required to keep chickens within the city limits of Mobile, Alabama. The permit is non-transferable with respect to persons and locations and may be revoked at any time by the Director of the City of Mobile Animal Shelter.

*Reference City Ordinance 07-014-2015