March 1, 2023
Rabies clinics planned in March for dogs, cats, and ferrets
MOBILE, Ala. — The Mobile County Health Department provides low-cost rabies shots for dogs, cats, and ferrets that are good for one year during weekend clinics. Here is a list of the rabies clinics planned during March in Mobile County:
• March 4 (Saturday), 10 a.m. to noon, Little Flower Catholic School, 2103 Government Street in Mobile
• March 11 (Saturday), 10 a.m. to noon, Pet Supplies Plus, 803 Hillcrest Road in Mobile
• March 11 (Saturday), 12:30 to 2 p.m., Mobile County Animal Shelter, 7665 Howells Ferry Road in Mobile
• March 18 (Saturday), 10 a.m. to noon, Kuddles-N-Kisses Connection, 11120 Meadow Lark Road in Grand Bay
• March 25 (Saturday), 1 to 3 p.m., B&B Pet Stop, 5035 Cottage Hill Road in Mobile
In order to adhere to social distancing recommendations, these events will be drive-through clinics. The cost of the rabies vaccine per pet is $12. All rabies shots are payable in cash.
Each month, MCHD’s Rabies Officer provides residents with low-cost vaccines for their pet dogs, cats, and ferrets at a variety of locations. The state of Alabama tasks local health departments with providing affordable rabies vaccinations to pet owners. MCHD’s Rabies Officer provided 175 vaccinations (132 dogs and 43 cats) during February.
Rabies is a virus that attacks the central nervous system. It is transmitted from infected mammals to humans and is fatal once symptoms appear. Symptoms of rabies include unusual behavior, irritability, headache, fever, inability to eat or drink, balance problems, circling, seizures, coma, and, finally, death. All warm-blooded mammals, including humans, are susceptible to rabies.
MCHD’s Rabies Officer vaccinated 1,537 household pets (1,247 dogs and 290 cats) in 2022. To learn more about our program, visit https://mchd.org/disease-control/#rabies.
A Rabies Quarantine Fact Sheet is available through the Alabama Department of Public Health at https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/infectiousdiseases/assets/rabiesquarantinefactsheet.pdf.