August 25, 2022
Rabies clinics planned in September for dogs, cats, and ferrets
MOBILE, Ala. — The Mobile County Health Department provides low-cost rabies shots for dogs, cats, and ferrets that are good for one year during weekend clinics. Here is a list of the rabies clinics planned during September in Mobile County:
• September 3 (Saturday), 10 a.m. to noon, City of Mobile Animal Shelter, 855 Owens Street in Mobile
• September 9 (Friday), 10 a.m. to noon, Mobile County Animal Shelter, 7665 Howell’s Ferry Road in Mobile
• September 10 (Saturday), 10 a.m. to noon, Pet Supplies Plus, 803 Hillcrest Road in Mobile
• September 17 (Saturday), 8 a.m. to noon, Eddie Smith’s Country Store, 14045 Celeste Road in Turnerville
• September 24 (Saturday), 1 to 3 p.m., B&B Pet Supplies, 5035 Cottage Hill Road in Mobile
In order to adhere to social distancing recommendations, these events will be drive-through clinics. The cost of the rabies vaccine per pet is $12. All rabies shots are payable in cash.
Each month, MCHD’s Rabies Officer provides residents with low-cost vaccines for their pet dogs, cats, and ferrets at a variety of locations. The state of Alabama tasks local health departments with providing affordable rabies vaccinations to pet owners. MCHD’s Rabies Officer has provided 958 vaccinations (789 dogs and 169 cats) during 2022.
Rabies is a virus that attacks the central nervous system. It is transmitted from infected mammals to humans and is fatal once symptoms appear. Symptoms of rabies include unusual behavior, irritability, headache, fever, inability to eat or drink, balance problems, circling, seizures, coma, and, finally, death. All warm-blooded mammals, including humans, are susceptible to rabies.
In 2021, MCHD’s Rabies Officer vaccinated 1,620 household pets. To learn more about our program, visit https://mchd.org/disease-control/#rabies.
A Rabies Quarantine Fact Sheet is available through the Alabama Department of Public Health at https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/infectiousdiseases/assets/rabiesquarantinefactsheet.pdf.